Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Weigh-In Wednesday #11

It's been a long time since I did one of these because I was so embarrassed that I fell off the wagon.  Not only did I fall off, it took off without me at 90 m.p.h.  I let myself fall into the old habit of eating my feelings and that canceled out all of the progress I'd made.

I am happy to report that I stepped on the scale this morning and the number was better than the last time I posted.  Not by much but hey, we celebrate the small successes just like the big ones!

Today's weigh in was 284.  One pound less than the last time I weighed in FOUR MONTHS AGO but in that time I've started a new job, had lots of child-related stress and I just spent three days in Walt Disney World where one day was focused on food. 


That said, I posted a picture of Prince Charming and I from said trip, standing on the Whitehall Patio where our wedding will take place in less than five months.  Yuck.  Both of us are unhappy with said picture.  So for comparison, here's us at the Grand Floridian last week.  The calf to ankle ratio of my leg is horrifying to me.  Also nightmarish: upper arms.  Ugh. 

So the prince and I have renewed our focus on our health and have committed to looking better for the wedding.  Everybody says that, right?  I said it a year ago when I started this blog.  Things are slightly better since then- I'm not skipping meals as much anymore and I'm drinking way more water.  I'm drinking more in general! 

I'm going to have to dig around in my photos and see if I can't find a good, full length shot of the weight I'd like to which I'd like to return to post on the blog.  Maybe I'll find one of Prince Charming too and I'll start tracking his progress here as well. 

I read a good article on the Huffington Post this morning with seven tips for lasting weight loss.  I'll summarize here because they're good tips and I want to remember them:

Pump up the volume of meals: eat the same volume of food every day, but bump up the amount of foods with lower calorie density (calories per gram).  Foods that have lower calorie densities are high in water (fruits, vegetables, soup, low-fat or fat-free dairy), high in fiber (whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables) and lower in fat.

Limit liquid calories: drink a smaller coffee, limit sugary drinks, drink juice from smaller cups.  Up the amount of plain old water (that's my addition, not the writer's!)

Make mindless eating work for you: use smaller plates and bowls, drink out of tall, thin glasses. Keep tempting foods out of sight.   At meals, keep lower-calorie dishes closer and the higher calorie stuff further away (like on the stove). 

Think outside the gym when it comes to exercise: you can actually more calories over time by increasing lifestyle-based activity like standing while talking on the phone, parking further from the door at work, or exchanging sedentary hobbies for more active hobbies ones.  Add as much non-exercise activity as possible in a day and it adds up in terms of calories burned over the long run.

Ditch the all-or-nothing mentality: No one is perfect all the time. Learn to handle controlled indulgences, and bounce back from less healthful choices quickly.

Think ahead: I'm more successful when I've planned out my meals for the week.  By mentally committing ahead of time, you limit mindless eating and drinking.  Note to self:  include a little healthy fat if you plan on drinking, as fat delays the absorption of alcohol).

Always have a plan B for eating and exercise:  There isn't always time to get to the gym, prepare the best food, or find the healthiest restaurant.  Don't skip your workout -- try to squeeze in something.  Try to keep an emergency healthful snack pack on hand to take the edge off hunger

Additionally: Try to eat fewer foods out of a box, weigh yourself regularly, and focus on both quality and quantity when it comes to what you eat. Nutrient-dense foods like whole grains, beans, fruits and vegetables (especially when they are in season), lean protein, low-fat or fat-free dairy, and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, and olive oil) should be the foundation of any diet plan.



1 comment:

  1. Maybe now that your Prince is going to be your "health buddy", you'll be more motivated to stay fit. You could even make a pact that you'll keep each other from making poor food choices (like how when alcoholics call their sponsors when they feel like they're going to relapse.) I'm sure you can do it, and I know that the upcoming wedding is a great motivator, but try to think beyond that. You want to be around for a lifetime of happily ever after right? :)

    ReplyDelete